Friday, October 12, 2007

Last night the Philharmonic called me about a trumpet concerto. At the rehearsal they realized that the orchestra parts were in E minor but the soloist had learned the concerto in F minor. He has perfect pitch so playing it in another key sounded really wrong. They asked me to enter the whole concerto into the computer and transpose it. I worked on it for about three hours and realized that there was no way I could finish by Saturday at 1 (the last rehearsal). So I returned the score to the Philharmonic office (in a trendy new part of Oak Park!) Later they called me back and asked if I could just do the string parts. I said I thought so, and Katie Cannon (the operations manager, who I knew as a stage hand at Best of Broadway and Music Circus) brought it over to the house. But just as she was standing at the door, the soloist called Katie and told her he had figured out a way to play the piece in E minor. Hooray! And I'm also going to get four concert tunings out of it.

No comments: