Friday, September 02, 2005

City of Trees?

The image “http://www.i-neighbors.org/hoodphotos/photos/thumb_1695_3653_WaterTower.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.
If you live in Sacramento, you've probably seen this water tower. At one time, the plan was to paint it to look like a giant tomato. But some city official thought that was too undignified, and so now it says
WELCOME TO SACRAMENTO
CITY OF TREES
which is so weak! Sacramento does have a lot of trees, but it has two much better names: the Camellia City, and The Big Tomato. I thought of this today when I drove to Woodland and saw that the wall at the city limits says: Historic Woodland, City of Trees. You can't have two cities within 20 miles of each other with the same name — and WOODland has a much better claim on it.
(I'm using an Internet photo of this tower because my HP camera died. I ordered a Kodak camera from TigerDirect... this is my second HP that died, so I'm going to try something else.)

No comments: