Friday, February 29, 2008

Magic bell

I played a Catholic funeral today. When they were preparing the Eucharist, a little bell rang at the moment of transubstantiation. Magical!
I was accompanying a singer who I had worked with on the Australia trip. He knew the deceased, and said he had a subversive sense of humor. But the memorial made him sound like the most conventional man imaginable.
He was a Marine and a Knight of Columbus. There were several of the Knights at the memorial. They look like a Gilbert and Sullivan chorus in their feathered hats.

1 comment:

Scott said...

magic bell = very old school.

at my funeral I'm having a very large woodblock hit (randomly) with one of the beaver apple cores we find down by the river, an appropriately thick one.

the priest does this initially, then it's available for anyone during the service, transit of the body, and wake. the guy who makes the loudest sound gets to take it home.