Monday, December 05, 2005

Morning after the party

Yesterday I got up early to play tennis as usual even though it was December cold and I was zombie tired from the party the night before. Afterwards Hal and I went to the coffeehouse, also as usual, and he commented that even though I had won at tennis, I looked like I had lost.
Later, at home, I got a call from Steve, who said that he had come to the party at nine p.m. but no one answered the door and he figured we had ended the party early and gone to bed. In fact, we were all in the family room in back and no one heard the doorbell. Either the doorbell has gotten softer or we are going deaf.
We have been giving this party since the late 80s, when it was the cast party for the Gilbert & Sullivan company's annual show. We had a lot more guests then and it filled up the whole house. During the 90s Rachel's friends would come and so we still had a lot of guests. Now, there are so few guests that they all huddle in one room (which room changes during the evening).
In the late afternoon I played a trio job at the Sunset Lawn Chapel of the Chimes funeral home. It was a service for all their clients who had buried someone that year. It went extremely well considering that the three of us hadn't played together in years, and I hadn't thought at all about what I was going to play. At the last minute, I decided to get a couple of Christmas fake books at Kline Music (five minutes before it closed!) and we played mostly out of that.
After the service I was unlucky. My Pocket PC fell out of my jacket and bounced on the concrete in the parking lot. It went blank, but fortunately I was able to reboot it. All the memory was lost and I had to spend an hour reloading everything.
Later that evening I realized that I had left my suit jacket in a garment bag at the chapel. The check for the job was in the jacket, too. Posted by Picasa

No comments: